Tuesday, January 31, 2017

99 Balloons

This week a family member was put on hospice. She had appeared to be beating the disease she had battled for this past year, but her organs are now failing. She could pass at any time.

Losing her rattles my nerves. I don't know how I could live without any of my family members, and this occurrence simply reminds me of how short this mortal life is. I could part with any and all mortal possessions if the choice was between them and my family. 

An important question to ask is what would I not give? Perhaps the only thing that our Heavenly Father really asks of me - my will. 

Could I sacrifice a romantic relationship with another man if the choice was between him and my family?

Yes.

In a world where homosexual relationships are paraded and celebrated, many may not understand why this is even a choice. I was even told recently that I was sinning by refusing to love and be loved sexually by someone (when I asked him to back that statement up doctrinally, he had no response).

When I compare this life to the eternities, I recognize that taking risks with eternal consequences should be given pause.

I wholeheartedly believe that in order for my family to be connected eternally, we must honor the covenants that we have made with the Father in the name of Christ.

And it's worth it.

Today my religion teacher shared this video with me. With last weeks "March for Life" fresh in my mind, this particular clip made me cry:


Eliot's parents obviously gave everything they had to keep him alive and comfortable for his short 99 days of life. I'm sure they would have traded anything to be able to raise him in this life. But their focus was not from a consumer's perspective. They didn't abandon their faith in God when they didn't get the blessings they wanted in return for their devotion. 

They recognized that God's ways are higher than those of mortals. They celebrated the tender mercies that were allotted them and hoped for their eternal reunion with their precious child. I hope that when I'm a father someday that I won't have to experience the loss of a child, but if I do, I'll pray to have trust in Christ of a similar caliber to this family and many others in my life who have faced similar hardships. My trials pale in comparison. 

I don't want to have any question in my heart when it's time for me to die as to whether I'll be with my family and Savior. So, while the passing of my loved one is causing me to weep, I know that our separation will be but a brief moment compared to the eternity that we'll share if I surrender my will to the Father.

What are you willing to give up for blessings which you may not receive in this life?

1 comment:

  1. Great question. I've noticed with my life, my desire and strength to sacrifice everything, all material things and my heart for the promised blessings fluctuates. Living for the rewards to me is the terrestrial law, living out of fear is the telestial law. Looking back on my life I can see times I thought I was fully converted, fully ready to sacrifice my will to the Father only later to falter from that position. If someone finds the trick to living the celestial law 100 percent of the time I would love to know.

    ReplyDelete